Don’t say ni hao in Vietnam

We finally got out of China (for more than a weekend). We ventured to Vietnam for a week for a beach holiday, which was much needed. The only downfall to this was I missed Halloween. Six Halloweens in Australia with very little in the way of festivities, and here I am amongst an expat community filled with Americans and others willing to do the trick-or-treating and decorating and dressing up and I get outta here to a resort filled with Russians. So Halloween was a dud, but the Vietnamese holiday was not (even if both of us kept saying hello in Chinese).

To begin with, leaving from China is an even more rigorous endeavour than the US. You begin by getting a bomb testing before you even enter the airport. As a large group you’re swabbed at the door, wait for the all-clear, then proceed inside. Once you check in, you must stand in line for your own personal pat down, no diplomatic immunity here! Luckily there is a female and male line, but if you really don’t care then join the queue and wait your turn. They are quick, but thorough.

And although I have heard horror stories of delayed-extremely delayed-flights, our was one time, exactly. The most efficiency I have seen in China yet. When we arrived, less then 3 hours later, Joel was confused as to how we have travelled to another country in such a short amount of time in the air since he had only finished his second beer. Typical Aussie.

Airport pickup was a private shuttle to transport us 4 hours (or 150km) up the coast of Vietnam. We opted for the private car because we’ve heard the dangers of travelling in a large shuttle bus in Vietnam. We still had about 27 near misses on the roadways and saw the remains of a motorcycle smashed by a bus (the same kind we would have travelled on). Road safety is not a term I think used in this country. I thought GZ was chaotic and dangerous but I have now changed my tune-it is tame and safe, and I appreciate the lack of motorcycles on the roads. Motorised bikes are fine by me, even if they don’t obey any traffic “laws” or “recommendations” or even “suggestions”.

Once safely to our destination, concluded by a situation where we were asked for a tip from the driver, but unsure if it was an actual practice in Vietnam especially when you risked our lives on multiple occasions, we got into our swimmers and pretty much didn’t get out of them until the last day.

While the resort was not noteworthy and the township of Mui Ne (about 5 km from our resort) was a typical foreigner holiday spot, the clientele was what made our trip interesting. Russians. Everywhere. Literally. We were the only non-Russian speakers (including the staff) at our resort. English was very hard to come by and Joel looking like he does, part Estonian, we were thought to be Russian. Correction was easy when we just replied “English”. They caught on very quickly, even more so when we said we were Australian.

The only touristy activity we embarked on was a 4 hour tour of the top spots to see around Mui Ne. Four hours was generous and we only used 3, most of which was driving, either in the jeep or on a sand dune quad, nearly scaring us to death. The tourist stops were as follows: Fairy Stream, Fishing Village, White Sand Dunes and Red Sand Dunes. Nothing spectacular, nothing amazing, but we had to be tourists for just a few hours.





If nothing else, this holiday gave us an entire week away from China. Not far, but away. Joel had a great time swimming, every day, all day (when possible) and drinking cheap and nasty beer.

And with all that I hear about Vietnamese food, we were only exposed to food that it was lacked flavour, spice and anything interesting…except for the translations and actual food (we blame the Russians for this because they are the main tourists).

My favourite part, however, was Joel’s reaction to our “assistant” on our quad rental, taking over and running through the steep dunes. And again asking for a tip for nearly killing us. I have never seen Joel so scared. It was pure entertainment, this is when a body camera would have been amazing. Screaming the entire time. We probably scared some other patrons from trying the bikes.

The week was mainly spent on the beach. After we caught on that you must go early and reserve your beach chairs under the umbrellas, because the other holiday goers save the chairs then don’t return for hours. Only took us 2 days. We had prime spots every other day. That is until we decided why use beach chairs when we had two of our own chairs on our little deck facing the ocean. Really paid off having this space when the rain started (nearly every day at some point). The rainy afternoons were then spent playing cards and mixing drinks. The rain probably saved us from some nasty sunburns. And so our holiday ended with a rainy day spent on the deck. Perfect, especially when the pool is so close for a quick rain swim.

After our frightful trip back to the airport in Ho Chi Minh, another 3o near misses, we had our on time departure to GZ and a safe car ride back to our apartment where our foster pup was anxiously awaiting our return.

Sunday morning was an early one with a “Charity Helipad Boot Camp”. Yes, on a Helipad at a hotel in GZ, a little over 62 floors above the busy city. Views were terrible, as was the air pollution, but we all survived and made about 15,000 RMB for The Wilbur’s Foundation. Great fundraiser AND exercise!

We are now back into the daily grind, working, dog walking, and exercising. Tough life we lead here. Now I’m just waiting to see who are first visitors will be!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s